Monday, November 5, 2012

Pain in Nick' A**: Day 1

Well today it started. Started popping pills and started getting a sun burn from the inside out.

Met with the Radiation Oncologist and he walked me through the PET scans and the planning of the radiation treatment. He knows I'm a big nerd (he seems to be one as well) so he showed me the software they use program the machine, treatment fields, and all of the PET scans. I guess the family jewels are going to be spared, but my bladder and prostate will get a bit of radiation. Such is life...in the words of the radiation oncologist, "We're going to treat the cancer we know you have." I appreciate the straight talk. One interesting thing to note is for what ever reason the enlarged lymph nodes did not light up on the PET scan which had him, "scratching his head." Docs scratching their head may concern some, but in my world I know it's par for the course.

Also met with a geneticist today to find out if there's a genetic component to my cancer. I'll write more on that later.

As for the drugs, they're going down. It's going to take some time to find out what best balance of chemistry will be, but today hasn't been horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment