Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pain in Nick's A**: Phase 1, Halfway Point

So today marks the halfway point in my chemo/radiation portion of my treatments. So far so good. Feel a little sick and a little tired, but overall it's not to bad. I was able to walk 9 holes last Wednesday, didn't post my best score and was a little tired, but it was good to get out. I plan on trying 18 holes on Saturday. It's just good to get outside and stretch the legs. I've also been trying to get a little workout in a couple times a week consisting of a bunch of push-ups and pull-ups. Oliver absolutely loves riding on my back while I'm doing push-ups.

 Oliver providing a little extra resistance


I was hoping to be off on a little break from the Chemo this week, but my Medical Oncologist likes to keep the Chemo in the system the whole time throughout the radiation treatment. Which makes sense as the chemo radiosensitizes the tumor (i.e. makes is easier for the radiation to kill the sucker). I get Thanksgiving off for radiation, which is fine I guess, but it means I'll have to double up next week.

Overall the first week wasn't fun and I lost a little weight, but the last week and a half has been pretty good. I've found that if I eat stuff I like I'm able to get it down. I was in Redwood City last week for a CT scan around lunch and decided to hit up the Woodside Deli. For those who have never experienced the Woodside Deli you're missing out. I use to go all the time when I worked up in the RWC. They have a sandwich called the Godfather, which has various Italian meats and cheeses, pretty phenomenal. Anyways the Godfather was as awesome as I remembered.

We'll see how the next couple weeks go. There are some cumulative side effects to both the Chemo and Radiation, so it will be 'interesting' to see what happens and how bad. But I was expecting worse, so it's nice to be beating my expectations again.


1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that the chemo is manageable so far.
    Man, I would kill for one of those sandwiches right now! Go back and have another one for me next week. Or go hit up Togos and get a #8.

    ReplyDelete