Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pain in Nick's A**: Adjuvant Chemo Started Today

So I started Chemo today...yippee. The first drug on the cocktail for the day is Oxaliplatin, it screws with the DNA synthesis in the tumor cells due to it cytotoxic (toxic to cells) effects. It's pretty nasty stuff, the nurse came in with a with a gown and thick gloves carrying the IV bag. Makes you feel real comfortable they're about to pump this stuff through your veins. Also got a steroid, Calcium, Magnesium and an anti-nausea drug. The whole thing took about 7 hours. I started getting some of the symptoms by the time the drip finished. Cold sensitivity, soreness in my arm the put it in. etc... There's a huge list and I had more by the time I got home. Good times...

I started the Xeloda again tonight, I only have one more pill to take a day than I did before, so I'm hopeful it won't be much worse than last time.

Found this little video on the Xeloda...kind of interesting.



With all of that said hopefully this is all for nothing and the radiation and surgery did the job to remove the tumor.

No comments:

Post a Comment